Whilst we are not prescribing any particular device,
we are recommending Chromebooks as a good starting device for
year 9 students.
The main reasons for this are:
- Students will need a device that is suitable for typing and
editing documents and accessing and using internet
resources and tools.
- Previous trials have revealed the advantage of laptops and
netbooks over tablets, smartphones or ipods in terms of the
collaboration that is possible and their suitability for
Specifications of suitable devices for these classes:
- Wireless capable - 802.11a/n Wifi
(which indicates a 5GHz capable wireless card) as this
gives the right speed and volume for the school network. Lesser
wireless speeds can slow everyone down!
- A screen large enough to work with documents in order to
create and edit content. Trials we have run suggest minimum
- Long battery life. Please be aware that large screen
laptops often have quite short battery life and are also very
heavy to carry around.
- Weight - this will need to be carried around school with
other school books
- Robustness - sturdy enough for school use
- Warranty - students using the device regularly will
want faults fixed quickly
- Insurance - make sure you are covered for replacement if
lost or stolen
There are a number of Chrome book options available. Burnside
High School recommends light weight and good battery life and