Rowing News

Time to get on the water!!

Picture of Sophie Gilchrist
Time to get on the water!!
by Sophie Gilchrist - Monday, 15 October 2012, 6:19 PM

Hi all,

I'm Sophie, one of your coaches for this season. For those of you that haven't met me yet, here is a little info about me and the happenings for the next week...

I rowed for Craighead Dio for four years and the another 3 years for Timaru Rowing Club while also beginning to coach the Craighead squad. Since moving to Christchurch permanently working as a Landscape Architect, when the opportunity arose to coach Burnside I jumped at it. It was my first year as head coach at Burnside last year and we had a tough time with the earthquakes and no water to row on, but had a fantastic season nonetheless.

We are building upon a strong and talented squad from last year which will hopefully push new boundaries this year.

This year the Maadi Cup (NZ Secondary Schools Champs) is being held at Lake Karapiro in the North Island but we also have a very busy calendar in the lead up to this event. A highlight of the season is always the squad camp away from home (last year held in Blenheim). All will be revealed in due course...

In the mean time, we need to get you all on to the water! Training this week will be as posted previously by Mr Lowe, morning trainings on Tuesday and Thursday as well as a session for the seniors after school on Weds at Kerrs Reach, and for the WHOLE SQUAD ON SUNDAY @ 9AM. 

Keep an eye on Moodle of the FB page for any updates.

I look forward to meeting you all and getting into training!

Cheers, Sophie