Maori Students' News

Term 2 ...

Picture of Ngamata Christie
Term 2 ...
by Ngamata Christie - Thursday, 9 May 2013, 10:32 AM

Kia Ora te whanau.

There are a lot of things going on this term.

Firstly, Homework Club.
Last term it was very quite but thi term it is going to change.This term is very important especially with senior internals coming left, right and centre. I know, i have been there and am still there now, but worse.
I also dont want to restict homework club for homework only. I want it to be a place where you can come to learn things, meet new people and get in touch with your tikang maori. I also want to encourage the kapahaka students to come along and practice. We have access to netbook, iPods and iPads. So there is no reason not to come along every Thursday straight after school in the whare - K1.

Secondly ... Kapahaka
Kapahaka is very successfull this year at Burnside. We also have a new kapahaka tutor, who is also a teacher at BSH. Miss Coleman. Last term the students learnt some haka powhiri and did a lot of team bonding exercises in preparation for Regional Practice. They also have two preformances coming up over the next week. One, infront of senior division, the other at the whanau hui. The Waitaha Secondary Schools Kapahaka Competition is going to be held at Aranui High School on Saturday, 26th of October (labour weekend)

Thirdly ... Manu Korero
Who are our speakers? If you need any help there a multiple people you can get in touch with. This is myself, Whaea Anna (k1), and Miss Coleman. Manu Korero is on the 5 of July. If you are interested see Whaea Anna for the topics for each catergory.

Lastly ... Te Wiki o Te Reo Maori.
It is only recently that Burnside has celebrated Maori Language Week. And this year it is going to be better than ever. Mari Language Week will be during the first week of July 1-7. This years theme is Nga ingoa Maori, but all previous themes are just important.

Please do reffer back to his page for futher updates, photos and events that will be happening this year

Naku Noa Ngamata Christie
chn@burnside.school.nz