Burnside HS Moodle Home

MAORI LANGUAGE WEEK July 1 - 5

Picture of Sandra Sidaway
MAORI LANGUAGE WEEK July 1 - 5
by Sandra Sidaway - Tuesday, 2 July 2013, 12:11 AM

Kia ora tatou

Ko te reo te tuakiri, Ko te reo toku ahurei, Ko te reo te ora.

Language is my identity, Language is my uniqueness, Language is life.

July 1 to July 5 is Maori Language Week when we celebrate the importance to New Zealand of the Maori Language.

During the week there will be lots of fun activities at lunchtime which are open to all students and activities in assembly each day relating to te reo Maori. There will also be an on-line quiz on Moodle, with all correct answers going into a draw for some awesome prizes.

The week will culminate on Friday with 3 Burnside High School students competing in the Manu Korero Speech Competitions at Aranui High School. They will be supported by our Kapa Haka group and we wish our speakers all the best for that competition. They are Oriwa Nicholas-Rakatau, Wai Cooper and TK Cooper.

The lunchtime activities for the week are listed below with the venue

Tuesday 2 July - Maori Board Games or Maori Bingo in the whare (K1) and  Kiorahi( a Maori ball game) in front of the whare or in the dance hall if it is wet.

Wednesday 3 July - Theatre Sports with a Maori theme in M4 and a Debate which relates to te reo Maori in M3.

Thursday 4 July - Maori bread making in N12 (entry is restricted and requires a free ticket which can be obtained from Student Office on a first in, first served basis at lunch time on Tuesday) and again Kiorahi in front of the whare or in the dance hall if wet.

Friday 5 July - Manu Korero Speech Competitions at Aranui High School and the On-line Quiz closes at 3.00pm. Prize winners will be announced on Moodle on Monday 8 July.

I would like to thank the members of our whanau and the community and the representatives from CPIT and the University of Canterbury who are giving up their time to support us with our activities. I would also like to thank the staff who are making the week's celebrations possible.

Students, please enter in to the spirit of the week. Join in the activities, whether you are Maori or not.

Celebrate things Maori and especially te reo, the language. Use it whenever you can,

Nga mihi, Mrs Sidaway