Burnside HS Moodle Home

Waterwise Camp

Picture of Marinda van Vuuren
Waterwise Camp
by Marinda van Vuuren - Wednesday, 27 May 2015, 11:02 AM

Two Burnside High School students, Jess Scarsbrook (13PZS) and Jacob Appo (12WUP), recently attended the week long Waterwise camp, run by Untouched World and Ecan along with 18 other students from various high schools around the wider Canterbury region.

They both learned a lot about water and environmental issues focused on the Te Waihora area.  The main thing that Jacob said he took away from this trip was a better understanding of the environment and the multiple opinions around it.  Jacob said 'talking to farmers around the Selwyn region made me realise that dairying is extremely important to New Zealand's economy and we need to find a balance between caring for the environment whilst still maintaining a competitive economy'.

Jess also commented saying, 'I learned the importance of all forms of activism and humans' effect on the environment.  I also realised how important it is to educate the farmers and wider community on water and environmental issues'.

They both thoroughly enjoyed their trip and would highly recommend it to Year 11-13 students next year who are interested in Geography and Biology.

Jess Scarsbrook and Jacob Appo